Monday, October 23, 2006

It's Rainy Here in Venice

We're in Venice. It is really a very odd place, all at once incredibly creepy, suspicious (ok, Will and I read a detective novel set here), dark and absolutely one of the most beautiful places on earth.

It's packed packed PACKED with tourists. Imagine if your front door was ON Broadway and 43rd. Yes, I know it really could only be there if you lived at the Police Station, but if you did and you had to cut through that many tourists every day, that's what I imaagine life to be like here in Venice. Except with more languages.

But there's definitely something about it. As Will says,

We're in venice right now, which I highly recommend. The food isn't as good as Bologna, the weather isn't as nice as Rome, the people not as friendly as Umbria, the family not as plentiful as Abruzzo, but still, it's got something. Should have come here sooner...


(The whole 'plenty o' family in Abruzzo' thing is in reference to the fact that he's related to pretty much exactly every resident of this one town in Abruzzo. It's really nuts. When he goes there, everyone knows him as 'figlio di Maura', which translates, roughly, into 'son of his mother, Maura'. That's village life for ya!)

We were en route the other night to see some baroque music thing in a church. Crossing over this one little bridge, I spotted a sign for a dance show that looked like it showed a photo of people scaling a building. Around the corner, we saw a giant line. At the post office. I asked someone in line, and sure enough, this was where the dance show was to be.

We went in, and yep. It was a dance show with two dancers hanging from ropes attached to the third and fourth floors of the post office's inner courtyard.

It wasn't the most groundbreaking (no pun intended) performance, but they performed at the post office!

I made a note to myself to find publicly funded performance spaces in New York. Yep. Right after I launch that rocket ship I've been building on my rooftop.

Maybe New York isn't going to start forking over free space any time soon, but the show got me thinking again about trapeze and flying classes.

We're off tomorrow, headed to Torino. Well, Torino on Wednesday. Tomorrow, either Verona or Milan. Better go look at a train schedule!

No comments: