The most annoying thing about my apartment in New York was that we were on the first floor. It was one flight up, not the ground floor, but my bedroom was in the front so we heard everything that went on outside: the wretched all-hours Ice Cream Truck (which I'm still convinced dealt drugs), any and all conversation (there was also conveniently a payphone in front of our building) and construction.
Just when we thought we had escaped the clamor of the city, it's back. Both yesterday and today, Will and I awoke to the ear piercing sounds of jackhammers tearing up the sidewalk on our street as well as the street perpendicular to ours.
It's not that I mind waking up at 730am, but it's really like some sort of cruel joke. We had dinner with Emanuela and Steven (the couple from whom we're subletting) and they said that every time elections come around (like now) the streets seem to get re-paved, a sort of calling card on the part of the incumbent.
I'm all for local politics and all, but can't they just hang fliers and kiss babies and quietly shake hands? TV commercials? Anything but jackhammers!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment