Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Seoul

We're in Seoul and after five days might have finally gotten over the jet lag!




We've seen some cool stuff...


















and some crazy stuff...














But by far, the coolest thing we've seen by far was Sang and Lisa's wedding.


The ceremony took place yesterday afternoon. Lisa wore a white gown like you would see in the states and Sang wore a tuxedo and they got hitched in front of about 500 friends, family and colleagues. After the ceremony, while we ate dinner, they changed into traditional Korean garb. After dinner, they did more traditional stuff, including a ceremony where they both bowed and bowed and bowed to their families. Their whole families. Sang's dad alone has five siblings, so I'm sure their legs and backs were tired. (In the photo above, Sang is giving Lisa the traditional Korean Wedding Piggyback Ride-- I didn't ask where the tradition came from...)


Sang's family have been absolutely lovely hosts. There has always been an English-speaking cousin sitting with us to translate and/or explain what's going on. They also invited us into the family room to see the ceremony first hand. (In the photo above, you can see us with Sang and Lisa, his brother Tony and his wife Hanna as well as Sang's parents seated in front)

Tomorrow we're off to explore South Korea outside of Seoul. I'm sure it's beautiful, but I doubt it can beat the wedding. Did I mention that a little girl sang ABBA's Dancing Queen as a good luck wish during the engagement dinner?

This is stuff you just can't get from a guide book!

No comments: