Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Commission a Play, Help a Friend

I just got an email from my colleague, often director and friend Jeffrey A. Lewonczyk. It touched me a little close to home.

Back in my bartending/table-waiting days, when restaurants closed/redesigned/went-under, I collected unemployment, anywhere from a whopping $300-405 per week. These are monies that we all pay into, and the payout is reserved strictly for times of need.

Click here to see how my pal Jeff is sort of getting screwed by his collection of unemployment, and the steps he's taking to make it right. I don't have all the details-- I expect I'll have to spring for a can of PBR (or a one-page play) to get him to spill it-- but I say, if you have the means, why not throw it his way? (although, don't forget that Ed and I, under the auspices of our theater company Cardium Mechanicum, will probably be hitting you up for something resembling a tax-deductible donation within the next year or so, so give what you can, but reserve a slice for us!!)

No comments: