Saturday, September 2, 2006

An Update (from the South of France)

Despite a number of technical difficulties (namely, the cord that connects my camera to my computer being loose for whatever reason), I have finally managed to retrieve my photos from the bulk of our Trans-Atlantic summer. Here's a little of what we've done, up until now.


It all started with the World Cup at Circo Massimo, where 300,000 people gathered to watch TV.

At the end of June, we flew briefly back to New York for our friends' Mark and Sari's wedding. All I can say is that a 12-piece Funk Band played Havah Nagilah. Wow.

Then it was on to Paris for Bastille Day.


We got to spend a bunch of time with my friends Kate Ward and Jon Evans, as Kate was working on her upcoming Travel Channel Show Not Your Average Travel Guide. I believe the Bastille Day episode will air sometime in October. Barring any cutting-room floor incidents, you may see me on a picnic and a man-on-the-street interview with Will, where he talks about how French food has too much butter. Details forthcoming.


We spent a day at this beautiful market, where I drank a coke and Will took some pictures of fruit and veggies.




And it's great to be with the press! Kate and her trusty TV Camera got us whisked into the Fireman's Ball the night before Bastille Day. It was a big party at the fire house, where all the French firemen played bartender for the night. Really, it's a girl's dream, although I was really just there for the Champagne.










On Bastille Day itself, we spend another afternoon with Kate and her film crew (us, Jon and some French dude with a scooter and an accent) having a picnic at the Champs Mars, right in front of the Eiffel Tower. Will realized that Kate didn't quite prepare properly for the picnic, so he went and got us another bottle of wine. And a quiche. And two more bottles of wine. I wonder if he remembers the fireworks...





I have much more to share, but my battery is about to be kaput, so I'll give you the skinny on July 14th to the present ASAP.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin - just came across your blog - no I wasn't googling you - I was googling Maggie. I was going to google you next.

So great to see you in Paris! Heading to Athens in 2 weeks if you're up for it.

Anonymous

PS - I was so prepared for the picnic.

Anonymous said...

Greetings - Great blog - I was actually googling your friend's show Not Your Average Travel Guide - My husband and I met Kate in Walt Disney World two weeks ago - We had a nice chat with her and we did a quick interview for her show - The reason I was googling the show, though, was because we just saw the Paris episode and realized that she was in Paris at the same time we were this past summer - According to your blog, you were too! - Anyway, I just thought is was kind of neat. - My husband and I also thought of more tips for Disney World that we thought of after our interview with Kate. I was actually looking to see if there was an email address I could drop a note to her. I tried Travel Channel, but I couldn't find an address. - Do you think you could forward my email address to her? I just wanted to see if she needed anymore Disney tips. Thanks! Keep up the great blog! - vianne08@newpaltz.edu