Friday, December 8, 2006

Theater Work

Back in New York and back to planning for 2007. I've had a lot of talk with a lot of people recently and am really excited for big stuff in the new year.


Talk is a-brewin' for the next installment of Piper McKenzie Productions' Bizarre Science Fantasy series. The Bizarre Science Fantasy folks are the ones responsible for this photo.

I don't want to spill the exact details yet (mainly because I don't know them), but let's just say it looks like the bulk of the old crew is going to get back together and stomp on some new ground. It looks slated for production at the Brick in the summer.

I've also been talking to my old pal from college, James Vesce, who is a professor at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. James directed me in the last show I did in college, Tales of the Lost Formicans. (click here to see some more priceless photos of me, circa 1998, with lightly feathered hair)

James is looking to produce Formicans again this spring, with me reprising my role from just about ten years ago, as well as the hilarious Jay Morong who played the whack-o next door neighbor. I'm really excited-- I've never really revisited a role before, and there's always that feeling of wanting to do more with it once the show is over. The best part is that now I'm just about the age that the character in the play is. When I was a 21 year old UMASS student, I don't know that I really pulled off the 32-year old New York mom/divorcee-to-be. I think that the last ten years of my life have better prepared me for the task at hand. We'll see!

That looks like it will happen in the Spring, and hopefully won't conflict with the aforementioned Bizarre Science Fantasy.

The other big project on tap is a collaboration with my friend Ed Valentine on a theater company, Cardium Mechanicum. Ed is a brilliant playwright and I'm excited to be working with him!

I've also been talking about trying to work on some more dance-y stuff with people I've worked with before on various shows.

Oh, and I booked a steady voiceover gig with a production company out of North Carolina that is branching into the on-hold messaging market. I can't say that I actually knew there was an "on-hold messaging market", but hell, if it gets me a steady gig, I'll believe in it!

So even though there is a lot in the works, it's all still in the planning stages. I'm really itching to get back to the theater, back to rehearsals, back on stage. The ideas are exciting, but not nearly so as the execution. And the collaboration. And the goofing off that leads to good work.

Time to get to work!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.