Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fight Class

This past Sunday I started Fight Class with the awesome Qui Nguyen of the Vampire Cowboys.

Over four hours of kicking, punching, falling, flipping, tumbling, screaming and sword-fighting has left me sore still today. Once he teaches me how, I'm going to kick Qui's ass for this. That is, if I can ever move the lower half of my body again...

The fun part about the class so far is that Qui is careful to distinguish between what looks cool on stage and what works should you meet a gang of angry mug-hungry thieves in a dark alley. This is good information for me. I know myself, thinking that I know how to throw down, I would start talking shit and end up getting my real-life ass kicked while trying to assume the proper fight stance.

I've got a lot to learn. But once I do, watch out! (I vaguely remember an email saying that we could purchase the nunchucks we'll use in class. I wonder if they'll be anywhere near as cool as the ones Niki and I made out of an old garden hose and a bike chain when we were kids...)

No comments: