Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting, Brooklyn-Style

I arrived at my polling station this morning at 10am to find this, which seemed like a good sign.




Then inside, I found this:


Also excellent.


But, sadly, those booths weren't for me. Those were the booths of two out of the other three districts voting in the same elementary school gymnasium as mine.

This was my line:

I don't think the photo captures it, but there were no less than 80 people in front of me. I had to get to an audition in Grand Central by noon, so after waiting for 45 minutes to advance a mere few feet, I bailed knowing I'd have more time to wait after my audition.

When I arrived back to the polling station at 12:40, the line had only seemed to get longer. It was torture to keep looking over to the other side to three empty voting booths while 100+ people waited for the SINGLE Kings County 85th District Booth.

All told, I cast my ballot at 2:20pm after an hour and forty minutes of waiting. And I didn't succumb to the goodies at the bake sale (at least not until I was on my way out).

As frustrating as waiting in that line was, I feel good about voting. This is probably the biggest election of my lifetime, and it feels like what I did today was important.

I hope that whomever you're voting for, you've done it already. Or if you're on your way, may you have a shorter line than me.

No comments: