Friday, November 30, 2007

Stuff in the Sky


If you're in the New York area next week, apparently you'll be able to catch a glimpse of Space Shuttle Atlantis lifting off.

When I was a kid in 1986 I remember it being a big deal that we were going to catch Halley's Comet-- my science teacher was all a-flutter. To me, it just looked like a shooting star, but it felt fairly important with all the science-class hype. If I live to be 86 (and have not fallen prey to the elderly drug habit I'm expecting), I may be able to catch it again.

Then once in college, maybe my freshman or sophomore year, I was walking home from class. I walked by this once dorm where everyone had on crazy sunglass-machines, sort of looked like the gas mask version of eyewear. (apparently you can also use simpler 3D-esque glasses, but this was college and fancier). They were watching a solar eclipse, and one of them let me borrow their specs. And sure enough, the moon covered the sun, it was creepy and amazing, and we all got on with our day. At least those of us who had not done preparatory pre-eclipse celebrating for the occasion. I think those guys kept their glasses on for days.

So next week, go stare into the sky at sunset and let me know what you see!

No comments: