I've been asked by a handful of people over the last few months just how I got into doing voiceovers.I'm always happy to tell my story, with a couple of caveats:
- I can only tell you what I did. Other people did it different ways that may have been easier/faster/better/cheaper/kinkier. I did it this way. (James Urbaniak, for example, did it this way.)
- I most likely can't get you an agent. That's one of the hardest things to do, and it's a hurdle every actor faces. If it was easier to find work, it probably wouldn't pay as much. Or I'd be writing from my own private island already.
- There's a joke in the business that all the work is done by 8 people. This is not far from the truth.
I had a friend who was doing well in Voiceovers. I asked her how she got into it. She referred me to her coach, Peter Rofé. I met him and liked him. I worked with Peter for about 4-6 coaching sessions before I recorded my commercial reel.
Peter invites selected students to workshops he holds with agents and casting directors. This is how I met my agent.
I was with my agency for about a year when one of the agents urged me to make a promo reel. She referred me to another coach, the saucy Marla Kirban. I worked with Marla for four sessions and then recorded my promo reel. This was a good idea. I currently have a handful of promos running on cable.
Unless you're already doing it, I believe working with a coach is a crucial part of starting out. Even if you're a trained actor, commercial copy is tricky. It's not a straightforward read. And it's not the same as doing it for the camera.
I highly recommend both Peter and Marla. I worked with a guy back in 2001 who I feel scammed me-- six months of weekly coaching sessions (at $85/hour) and I never got a reel out of it. I won't post his name here. Instead, I'll say if you're looking for a coach, be sure to do your research and get more than one referral from people you trust. There are gads of people who are more than willing to take your money and tell you you're headed for the big time. Don't believe the hype. The hype is pricey and a waste of time.
The other big issue that comes into play when getting into this business is money. There is a lot of it to be made. It's great work-- a lot of fun with creative people. But as in most cases, you've got to spend money to make money. I spent a good chunk of it getting myself. And I didn't make it back right away. I bet I went out on over 100 auditions before I booked my first job.*
It takes time, perseverance and a sprinkle of luck. But mostly perseverance. Voiceovers, like any field in the arts, is 10% "talent", 30% who you know and about 600% persistence.
Last summer I fulfilled my childhood dream when I recorded my first cartoon voice. That job came from a friend from high school, who is a writer and producer on the show.
Ok, maybe it's 40% who you know...
*Update March 2009: I have estimated that I probably had 600-800 auditions before booking the Campbell's Campaign which paid me more than waiting on tables.

No comments:
Post a Comment