Monday, May 5, 2008

It's Bike Month!

I was on the subway last week and noticed a sign for Bike Month NYC. There was some semblance of a challenge as I recall, a "Ride Your Bike to the Office Every Day" sort of thing.

So today, Will and I dusted off our bikes and helmets, walked them over to the shop, filled the tires with air and biked to Manhattan.

Notice the many layers of protection: a helmet for the head, sunglasses for the eyes and a band for the sweat. (Will opted simply for a helmet and backpack)

We cruised down Clinton St through Brooklyn Heights on a nicely marked bike lane the whole way and ultimately chose the Manhattan Bridge over the Brooklyn, since we were both headed further uptown. Only snag is that the bike lane ends somewhere around Tillary St and leaves you lane-less and facing oncoming traffic. A hair scary for the first ride of the season, but we made it!


Will went to work and I headed to Noho to pick up a copy of my recent commercial from the editors and then I tooled around the West Village and had lunch at one of my all-time favorite cheap-o spots, Caffe Reggio.




Then I went down to Chinatown where this patient little man fixed up the holes in my sneakers*.








While waiting for shoe repair, I sat and got stared at by many an old Chinese man. I assume it's because I'm not Chinese. But hey, that's Chinatown. It was even more intense when we were in Korea!

So, get your bikes out, friends. I spent the whole winter forgetting how much I love the mobility of two wheels. And a helmet. Safety first!

*We're entering a depression, folks. Time to make your stuff last!!

No comments: