
And it comes in the form of cake!
I met a friend of a friend the other day named Rebecca and she and her roommate Anne just started a business called Caked.
The story is that Anne was bequeathed a secret recipe that has been passed down to only one member of her family for generations. Caked makes just this one flavor cake (with a choice of chocolate or vanilla butter cream icing) though you can get it in full cake or cupcake size.
When I first heard about it, I kind of thought it was a bonehead idea-- why on earth would you make just one kind of cake? The Magnolia Bakery* makes tons of different cupcakes and they have a line down the block. How on earth can you have a successful business on just one cake?
Then I tasted it.
One cupcake, a delicious chocolate cupcake with chocolate icing. Magical. It was a day or two old but still tasted like the best thing my grandmother had ever made-- there was definitely a heavy dose of love running through this tiny treat! The icing is butter cream of the most delicious variety, and it doesn't leave your tongue and roof of your mouth all coated with butter like some crappy versions do. It is rich and chocolatey without being too sweet. I think they balance the sweet and salty just perfectly (that is not to say that it's a salty cupcake-- no, no, this will definitely feed your sweet tooth jones). I can only imagine what one of these puppies would taste like fresh out of the oven!
The girls are a small 2-person operation now, and they've only just begun. They only take orders, there is no storefront, so you have to order a batch at a time. But trust me. Yum. Treat yourself! And, they'll deliver them straight to your door in the NYC area!
*The Magnolia Bakery, though still extremely popular, entirely pales in comparison to a Caked Cake. It's just no contest!!

No comments:
Post a Comment