One topic that utterly baffles him about me, though, is how I am able to somehow magically repel money.
Money and me, we're like opposing magnet ends-- it's fun to try to push us together and even though we might touch for a second or two, there just ain't no way we're gonna sticking (try as I may).
John Clancy, one of the original founders of the New York International Fringe Festival (info included for the three of you who read this blog and don't know everyone in the indie theater world), just posted on his blog about a trip he took to BAM to pitch his stuff. On what he sees, he writes:
"Goddamn. Am I in a theater or an investment house?"
And if you're really like me, you don't even know what an investment house is.
My obvious point is that for those of us who learned how to make our art in the funding wasteland of the 90s, that much cash makes us nervous and a bit disoriented. And if you let it, it makes you angry. You can go childish angry:
"Look at all this fucking money, I never had any fucking money, why did they get all this fucking money, fuckers."
Or righteous angry:
"The money spent on this furniture would fund two dance companies for four months."
To see what else he saw, read the rest of the post here.
I'm not wearing it like a badge, though, friends. I swear-- I'd love to give it a whirl with the limitless funds. But I've just chosen, like many of the artists I call friends and colleagues, to go the non-I-Banker route. Well, a lot of us have chosen to go the where-can-I-find-an-under-the-table-cash-job route, but you get the point. We're not the kids with the 401Ks and a lot of us (not me!) see nothing wrong with producing an off-off broadway production on credit cards and bartending tips.
Sooooo... while we're on the topic, if you're looking to fund the arts, why not make a tax-deductible contribution to my theater company via our fiscal sponsor, Fractured Atlas? You can donate online-- just be sure to go down the drop-down menu and look for Cardium Mechanicum.
I know, I know, you're thinking, 'hey, dumbass, you just said you're brainless with loot, why should I give you any?' But see? See, even though I don't handle the monies so well, I'm smart enough to know to ask someone else to manage it for me! Fiscal Sponsorship. It just smacks of being responsible. Maybe I should manage an office or something!

No comments:
Post a Comment