Wednesday, April 9, 2008

It Was an Emergency!

On Monday I was doing a lot of running around-- recording session in the morning, back to the Brooklyn to record an audition, grab the car, hit an audition near Grand Central then get to rehearsal.

I think it would be easier to prance through Midtown on your hands than to find parking near Grand Central, so I figured I'd park down in Murray Hill; a more residential neighborhood was sure to have more street parking. Apparently I was not the first to figure this out, as finding parking took longer than I expected.

With about 15 minutes to get twelve blocks up and two across, I hopped in a cab. I thought it was great that the driver seemed to sense my urgency as yellow lights turning red didn't phase him in the least.

On Third Ave approacing 42nd Street, out of nowhere Speed Racer screams,

"Lady! I ain't gonna charge you nothin'. I gotta let you out here!"

I am confused. Things were going so well. Was it something I said?

"I gotta go to the bathroom-- it's an emergency. (pointing left) Grand Central is that-a-way and the bathroom (pointing right) is that-a-way. It's an EMERGENCY. I gotta go!"

I got out of the cab and off he sped. I sure hope he made it.

I've been in New York nearly ten years now and this was the first time anything this hilarious has ever been said to me in a cab. This place never ceases to amaze me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last week, Sam & I stopped in the gas staion near our house to pick up a six pack before heading home. Sam was in the middle of paying when a guy passed behind us and the cashier started cursing and giving the guy the evil eye as he left the building. For a long time. So long it was awkward. Finally, the cashier turns to Sam and says, "That guy. He live next door. In the building next door. But every night he comes in here and shits. Then leaves."

Robin Reed said...

Is there something in the air? Season change? Or has everyone just kept it all in too too long???

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Love it.