Monday, February 4, 2008

Bootcamp: Day 13-- Over the Hump

Week 4 kicked off with all three instructors, two new recruits and one guy's last day. Soon. Soon it will be my last day!

This is becoming a hot topic of conversation among the handful of us who are in the middle of Boot Camp: Are you going to sign up again?

One of my buddies said last week, and I quote:

What?! Do it again? Sign up for more? If I even think of doing that, you have to promise you'll remind me of this very moment, of how RIDICULOUS that sounds and how much this hurts.

But then you look at the ladies who have been doing it for months and it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. But then again, neither does sleeping past 7am!

The most popular sentiment is "well, the thought of just going back to like a regular gym just seems weird". It's true. Nobody at the Y is going to yell at me if I flake on a few push-ups, so (follow the math here) that means I'll never do push-ups at a regular gym.

Have I drank the Boot Camp KoolAid or what? But whether or not I'll re-enlist (ha!) remains to be seen.

Well, now that it might be safe to say that I don't get such a bad case of the BrainDead after class anymore, I feel like I'm on a good roll. Although, the SuperBowl, 3 beers and hot wings didn't help my case today, but all in all it wasn't too bad.

But like I said, we had all three instructors for about 10 people in class, so they were pretty darned creative for a Monday.

First was a fairly normal warm-up: laps, jumping jacks, squat thrusts, star jumpers, but this time it was led by Nizio, who likes to play a lot with going faster and then really slow in his counts. And they're all sticklers for staying with their count, so it gets tricky when you can't just fall into a rhythm.

Then we partnered up and did the How-Many-Can-You-Do in a minute thing. First came squat thrusts. I did 30, but only because I was next to the Best Girl in Class who did 42!! In ONE minute. We were counting out loud and at first I thought I had to keep up with her. So yeah, 30 nearly killed me. A lap around the gym. Then a minute of... something (ok, maybe I'm not entirely done with the BrainDead), another lap around the gym. Then finally, a minute of the "Burpee", (I have no idea where this name comes from) the dreaded squat thrust/pushup/star jumper combo. I think I mustered about 15 of those. Ouch. 2 laps around the gym then 2 minutes of sit-ups (I managed 71).

Next up: Reuben's Fun with Tires*. 3 sets of 25 squat/presses with the tire, 25 dips (arms on the windowsill, legs straight in front of you, kind of like a whacked-out reverse pushup), 25 pushups. Did I mention we did three sets?

Then lunges over to Alex for the final nail in the coffin. Partner exercise. One partner has two 12lb. dumbbells and does a squat to the floor, back to standing, bicep curl to an overhead press while the other partner faces the window, holds the window bars and runs on and off a 24" wooden crate. I like to think of this one as The Jail Break-- it felt like I was trying to bust the bars off the window! So the partner with the dumbbells did 25 of those, and the other partner did JailBreak until they were done. Then we switched. I think we got through two sets, and then it was done.

Normally, I'm out the door at 8:31, but today I had to go to an audition at 11, so I showered at the gym. Hanging out with the other ladies, we actually learned each other's first names (as opposed to the Boot Camp penchant for Surnames Only) and where everyone works. Strange, nobody is a professional Squat Thruster...

*Seriously, if I never see a tire again!

No comments: