Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bootcamp: Day 16

Wednesday. The day when most people skip Boot Camp, especially in weather like this. But today there was a surprising number of people in class-- about ten.

At the end of class, Sari asked "So is Wednesday like the hardest day ever?"

Alex's reply? "We try to make every day the hardest day ever."

We started off as usual, running laps, stretching and right into Jumping Jacks. This is where it began to melt down. My hair was tied back too loosely and was bouncing all over my head. This is not fun, considering my capacity to space out and/or obsess over little details like this. Apparently I was shaping that sentence in my head at that time and spaced out, only to be shot back to earth when Alex screamed "PICK UP THE PACE, REED."

For some reason, I just couldn't find the rhythm. What rhythm lies in a Jumping Jack, you ask? Apparently a lot.

Then it was on to Star Jumpers and push-ups. Today, unlike yesterday, there was no commentary on the depth of my push-up. We started with 25 of each, and worked our way down, in increments of 5, to 15. So 60 push-ups, 60 Star Jumpers. It's a good idea to demolish the legs and arms equally at the beginning of class.

Then we were on to another round of the Squat Thrust Challenge-- how many can you do in one minute. Alex gave us each a goal number. Reuben added that if your goal was not reached, everyone had to do it again. My goal was 28. I did 32.

Then we played "12 Seconds to Get Around the Gym" and did another minute of Squat Thrusts. That time I made it to 33.

This may sound like progress, but I'm thinking I might have made a mistake by going beyond my goal. He's just going to start raising it. Note to self: no need to over-achieve here.

We played Over-and-Under the Hurdles again today. Over and under the first 8, over the next 6. For some reason, this was very confusing-- 'over and under all of them? under where? when do I climb?' Meanwhile, the Best Girl in Class was springing-- yes, springing-- over the hurdles. When I picked my jaw up off the floor I asked Sari what her deal was.

Triathlete.

Oh. Moving right along.

Next up was leg-lifts with a partner. One partner lies on the floor, the other partner stands at their shoulders. The partner lying down holds on for dear sweet life to the standing partner's ankles whilst holding their legs 6" off the ground. Floor partner lifts legs to a 90ยบ, when the standing partner is then instructed to push their legs back down to the floor. Two sets of 35. Sari was my partner. Sari, I'm sorry you had to touch my pants that had travelled through the slush!!

Then we broke into groups. The Big Kids* went and did obstacles, while me and the Little Kids* did weights. Again, with the Arm & Leg Blasts! After a couple of laps bear crawling around the gym, Reuben told me to grab a weight bar. I grabbed the blue bar, the smallest one I could find, which I think it 12 lbs. He caught me, and sent me back for a yellow bar. Damned stupid yellow bar. Long story short, my arms feel like jello today.

But the upshot of it all is that the final Group Sit-ups at the Rock Wall was a breeze. And now I'm grateful to be in clean dry clothes and indoors away from the slushy mess outside.

*I've chosen these terms in lieu of "Best" and "Not Best" or "Advanced" and "Schleppy".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totes did not feel any slush. Things I should extend a permanent apology for:

*if my frizzy ponytail is in your face
*if I have B.O.
*if my clothes have residual, permanently embedded B.O. even though they're always clean
*Being too sweaty when we all have to link arms at 'The Wall'
*And bad breath. When we're all doing sit ups, and they're like BREATHE - and some poor soul is like inches from your stanky breath. I have good dental hygiene, but you know - one worries.

Anyhoo, I think I'm officially pissed at you for the first time ever :(. I have never been able to break 28 squat thrusts. You bitch >:(.