Thursday, August 28, 2008

Big Weekend!

At the gym the other day, someone mentioned something about the upcoming long weekend. I paused, figured it out and said

Oh, that's right! It's Labor Day weekend!

My friend looked at me with a mixture of bafflement and near-disdain and replied

You obviously don't work 9 to 5 because everyone who does is acutely aware that it is Labor Day Weekend!

It's true. I don't work 9 to 5. I never really have, save for the odd temp job/nanny gig here and there. I keep odd hours, and I'm coming, finally, into a position where I feel it's paying off*.

But instead of having an end-of-summer BBQ or taking that one last trip to the country/beach, I'm working all weekend.

I'm shooting a film. It's the first time I've written (with loads of help from dear, creative friends) and will act and direct a film. And after an excruciating development process filled with lots of ideas and excitement and the scrapping of said ideas and excitement and starting over, I am happy to say I think we've got something pretty great.

The film is called Thursday and my good friend Jennifer O'Donnell will assist me in the behind-the-camera dealings, whilst the mightily talented Katie Brack and Ian MacRae will join me on-camera. We're using the same DP and Gaffer as we did for the Benchcoach videos, and my good friend Mark Nickelsburg will take charge of editing. Will's aunt Deborah and Uncle Proctor have generously lent us their home, conveniently located just a few blocks from our apt, to shoot in, which, as I hope you'll come see, is the ideal setting in which to tell this story.


Thursday will screen on October 30 at the Anthology Film Archives and on Halloween at the Millennium Film Workshop as part of the Bride of Sinister 6 festival, curated and produced by my good friend Bryan Enk, featuring 6 short films by 6 lady directors.

So enjoy your BBQ/Beach/Country home time, and mark your calendars for the end of October!


*More on the pay-off later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So exciting! I have you all programmed into my calendar :). And I hope the big payoff is what I think it is!