Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Purple Drank / Nevermind


Purple drank is a slang term for a recreational drug popular in the hip-hop community of the southern United States. Its main ingredient is prescription-strength cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine.


I believe I have now, officially, seen everything.

via Gothamist

Also along the lines of having seen everything, I heard a little story the other day on NPR. It was about the kid on the cover of Nirvana's Nevermind, an album that my mother and her eardrums probably wish I never bought. You know, the naked baby floating in the pool with the dollar bill in front of him.

His name is Spencer Elden and he's seventeen now. I was slightly younger when filled with the angst to which that album spoke. And he longs for something more

Life in general isn't quite as "cool" as it was when he jumped naked in the pool in the early '90s, though, he says. These days, his peers are too stuck on the Internet and video games. Ironically, he yearns for the era that gave Kurt Cobain, the lead singer for Nirvana, so much angst.

These days, Elden says, his peers concentrate on "playing Rock Band on Xbox, like, that's not a real band! That's the difference between the '90s and kids nowadays; kids in the '90s would actually go out and make a [real] band!"

Wow. Leave it to the Nevermind Baby to drop the logic that makes me feel old. Ok. I think I may need to drown my sorrows in some Tussin & Sprite.

No comments: