Monday, February 18, 2008

Bootca-- actually, scratch that

My alarm goes of at 6:20, as usual, this morning. I snooze it once, then begrudgingly head off to the shower. I shower, dress and leave the house by 6:42, as usual.

It's getting light out earlier each day. I sort of liked leaving for Boot Camp in the dark, under the cloak of night, as it were. But the sun is coming up now, at least a sign that Spring is near.

I get to the F Train stop at Carroll St, as usual. It's a holiday, so there are few people on the platform.

Oh, and the F Train isn't running.

This happened to Will on Saturday morning, and to me on Saturday afternoon. To get into Manhattan, we now have to take the G to Hoyt-Schermerhorn, transfer up the stairs on the other platform (this is the key to not ending up in Bed-Stuy like we both did) to the Manhattan-bound F.

On the MTA website, they tell you this information, but fail to note something important*:

F Trains run between Hoyt-Schermerhorn and 179 Sts G Trains replace F between Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts and Stillwell Av
Weekend, holiday until Feb 19, 5 AM Tue

How will this affect my trip?

If you are traveling to Manhattan
• Take the G and transfer at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts to a Manhattan-bound F making all station stops to 179 St, Queens.
*(you are basically screwed-- add an hour to your trip)


So, having witnessed the Don't Be Late For BootCamp Lesson from poor Wong the other day, and knowing in my gut that I just didn't have 250 squat thrusts in me, I got off the G at Bergen (yes, one stop from my starting point) and walked home. I called in on the way, telling them why I wasn't coming and that I'd tack an extra day on next week.

I didn't mention the fear, (but I think it might have come through anyway)...

Happy Presidents' Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh. You woke up at 6:30 in the morning to trudge back and forth from the G train? Blech. I barely got through bootcamp with both eyes open today. Tired :(. And guess what? I was the ONLY person in class who was going to work afterwards. Curses! I don't know why I bothered coming in to the office anyway today. Practically asleep on my desk.

Robin Reed said...

I hope they at least let you cut to the front of the shower line!!