
I forget where I stumbled upon this genius little site (probably Gothamist), but for anyone using two wheels (and a helmet!) to get around the city, it's a real find.
Ride the City provides Google Maps with biking directions all over the five boroughs, including where there are and are not bike lanes. You can choose directions by safety or speed or by the most direct route.

For example, I'm headed to Williamsburg this morning to meet a friend and have chosen to go by the Most Direct Route (wearing my helmet makes me feel safe enough to shave 10-15 minutes off my trip). Note in the screenshot above it tells me where there are bike lanes and where to use extra caution. It also makes a note of where there is a bikeway or greenway and where, in case of emergency, there is a nearby bike shop.
They may still be working out a few kinks in the site (for some reason, my map jumped to Rhode Island...), but I consider this an invaluable tool for anyone using their bike for business or pleasure.

No comments:
Post a Comment